Saturday, March 3, 2012

I've been a vegetarian for four years, and I am currently trying to make the jump to Veganism, but I'm having a really hard time eliminating eggs and cheese, especially the eggs, because they seem to be in everything. I'd really like some advice|||Well, I am somewhat in the same boat. I am trying to seriously limit my dairy and egg consumption. I will tell you what steps I am currently taking to do so.

I go grocery shopping alone. When I am with my spouse, I feel rushed, and like I can't stand there and read every label. But when I'm alone, that's exactly what I do. It was hard the first two weeks, but it's getting easier, because I now know what certain basics are "safe". And only have to label check specialty or impulse foods.

When we go out to eat, I look up the restaurant menu online before hand, and look for meals. Again, this was harder at first, but is now easier, since I know have "favorite meals" (aka foods I know that are safe) at my regular haunts. If the place doesn't have a website, and when I'm reading the menu, I just can't tell what has animal in it, I just get a salad.

Finally, always have snacks! This is where I fail the most. I'm fine at home, because I stocked my shelves with plenty of choices. But if I forget to pack a lunch for work, and am hungry during the day - there is ALWAYS free food in the lunchroom. People are constantly bringing in baked goods, or conference leftovers, or chocolates that they don't want to eat themselves. I have several times slide, and picked at lunchroom food, when I don't have time to take a lunch break, and forgot my own food.

I'm willing to bet that the first 3 weeks will be the hardest - since that's how it was when I quit meat. Only due to the fact that I have to figure out what I am now going to eat instead of what I had been eating. I am sure that as time passes it will be easier and easier until it feels like it's always been the way we've lived. Once you get a whole list of food in your head that you can readily fall back on.

Good luck to us both. I'm sure we'll get there with continued effort.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment