Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I've been a vegan for about 5 months and I'm having some problems. I have severe OCD (I get treatment) and my life is miserable freaking out about every single possible animal byproduct. I have this eyeliner that I only use because I'm also OCD about money (not wanting to spend) and because it would be a waste. I don't know if it contained animal products, but it's remove.
My family uses animal products all the time and I'm freaked out and have to keep washing my hands.
Sometimes I have to tell myself to stop worrying so much and I'll stop washing my hands or freaking out, but then I wonder if the situation I'm panicking about is OCD or not. I don't know any other vegans so I can't ask them what they would do.
I can't stop being a vegan because I'm very passionate about what I believe it, but I really need some help from other vegans on how to not be OCD about the whole thing.
Please don't be mean.
And I might post other questions about situat|||your OCD is a condition you have, which is nothing to do with your being vegan. If you weren't vegan you would obsess about something else. You need to think about WHY you are vegan. Is it to cause problems for people by attaching yourself to rigid rules you cannot break, or is it for the greater good? I'm vegan, but I'm the only one in my family, I don't even know any other vegans so I'm surrounded by animal products. I never buy anything for myself that contains animal products, but I have to let others live by their beliefs too, which means buying meat and dairy for my boyfriend and our kids, although all the houshold toilletries soap, shampoo etc are vegan. Last night I sent my boyfriend shopping and he got a plant-based washing up liquid that contains milk-protein but I'll use it anyway, he did his best to get something vegan. I will also buy 2nd hand (but not new) leather goods. I do my bit by being aware of everything I eat/use and what it actually is and I avoid animal products because this is what I believe to be right, but I don't see myself on a moral highground above the meat-eaters. I do 'preach' a bit to family, but never to strangers and ultimately, I believe everyone should follow their own path, so much as I would like to see my boyfriend and kids become vegan, I accept that they're not and I handle meat and dairy when preparing food, I don't freak out because I'm not preparing it for me. In your case, those animal products are being used anyway, it's not your fault washing and your hands isn't going to change that. I also used up make-up from my pre-vegan days and just replaced it with vegan as it ran out. If you are in the UK most Barry M (not foundation/powder) and GOSH make-up at Superdrug is vegan. Maybe see a doc about the OCD thing if you're not already, but don't stop being vegan - it's good for you!|||I'm not a vegan (not even a veggie anymore, but still cook that way most of the time), but I do have 2 grown kids w/OCD. Sounds like your treatment is working for you right now, for whatever reason. I highly encourage you to check in w/your dr. and therapist. If you can't (due to family or whatever) and need someon, you can email me. Changes in routines and lifestyles can be really rough for ocd kids. By believing that you can learn to cope with this, too, and getting help you really can get back to your baseline normal.|||Hi Sophie,

I don't think this is related to veganism.

I would treat veganism as just a "topic" you get OCD about and try to adress it in your treatment.

You are right in that you will not need to compromise your morals on veganism. Being passionate about it is a positive thing, letting it control your life is where you need help and it seems you are getting it. Your helpers need to take a different tack, tell them about seeking help on the internet and how you feel thier help isn't working for you

Best of luck with it, hope you get better, relax and enjoy life more soon.

Take care,

m|||I work in mental health and I never heard of anyone being able to decide "not to be OCD."

All you can do is to stay compliant with your treatment and hopefully control the symptoms as much as possible. If you don't think your symptoms are being controlled well enough, then you need to talk to your doctor about that.|||Iv'e already answered this question, whats the deal?|||A lot of folks with OCD also have issues around food. It would be best to speak with your doctor to see if there's anything else you can do - switch meds, try alternative treatments, etc. If your doctor isn't willing to work with you, you might want to seek out another opinion. Living with out of control OCD is miserable.|||This may or may not be strictly related, but there is an eating disorder called Orthorexia wherein the sufferer only eats very specific "pure" foods. It usually starts out as veganism/vegetarian philosophy in sufferers, but as OCD overtakes your eating habits, intake is usually pared down to a very limited selection of foods, leading to serious health risks and emaciation - ironic result of a quest for "health". Similarly, I had a cousin who developed anorexia as a result of her OCD and a fear of bacteria - to her, more and more foods seemed "full of germs".

Your obsessive compulsive tendencies should not rule how you eat to the point of anxiety - that's the point where it becomes and eating disorder. You may not be there yet, bu you could be. So. Talk to somebody. Humans have been getting along for quite a while with the occasional animal byproduct, and anxiety to the degree of compulsive is unwarranted.|||Vegan should not equal obsessive.

If you already bought the eyeliner, the money has already been spent. Just buy vegan brand online next time. It won't contribute to any animal suffering if it's already been purchased

Don't worry about what everyone around you is using or eating. It is your choice to be vegan. If you act weird because someone else ate or used an animal product, they will think that vegan people are freaks.

I am glad that you are passionate about your beliefs, I am as well. I know that it must be hard having OCD, but the calmer and happier that you appear to be in the eyes of those around you, the more positive of a message you will help spread in the name of those beliefs.|||I am a vegan that eats dairy products for the most part,beef,i will not even touch! Disgusting. It sounds as you may be a tad over the top on washing after using toiletry/make up products made with animal by product,but that is you,it may be somewhat ocd.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment