Friday, February 3, 2012

I feel strongly about veganism and I wish there was a religion that said you must be vegan or atleast vegetarian, it would be awesome and I would join it since I would have alot in common with the adherents. But most of the religions don't make veganism or vegetarianism mandatory. I've looked into Buddhism and I like it, but not sure I want to follow it yet.|||I'm Jain, and being a vegetarian is pretty intimately tied with us. (And we're lacto-veg, people, not vegan...I have no idea who started this rumor, but it's not true. Have any idea how much research I had to do to prove that you can be safe as a vegan to my mom? She kept insisting that milk is necessary, and she's the granddaughter of a very well respected Jain authority. She'd be OK with not eating root veggies, but no milk was OMG, YOU'RE GONNA DIE YOUNG with her).

It's also very closely tied to Seventh Day Adventists (who are also vegetarian, but not vegan...well, some are).

But like most religions, just because it's associated/encouraged doesn't mean that people will follow it. I know lots of Jews who eat pork, it's the same thing, but change pork to all animals.

Edited to add: you shouldn't join a religion JUST because it says you should be vegetarian, it should co-incide with your beliefs. There's lots of Christian vegetarian groups out there (if your beliefs don't co-incide with the Adventists), Muslims who are vegetarian, etc. (http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/Q鈥?/a> ) will tell you what religion coincides with your true beliefs. I came out as Theraveda Buddhist...close enough.|||I don't think many people that I know actually believe the stuff, it's more about community than actual religion. I'm curious, though, what score did you get?

Report Abuse

|||Why do you want someone else to FORCE you to be veg*n (shorthand for vegan or vegetarian)? No one can FORCE you to not eat meat. That's up to you. Besides, there's no religion or law or rule is not broken at one time or another.

Perhaps you should look into the 7th Day Adventists? They promote the vegetarian diet. They believe God told one of their founders that the vegetarian diet was his chosen diet. But, even at that, not all Adventists are vegetarian. Buddha did NOT teach his followers to be vegetarian. Many buddhist do eat meat....maybe not beef, but they eat some meat. Probably the most respected holy man in the world, the Dalai Lama, eats meat.|||No, i am a vegan and accept that the majority of the world will always eat meat.You cant force your views on others that only makes them resent vegans more.We can only live by good example and offer advice and share our views on request. I t would be great if everyone stopped eating meat but that will never happen.There are over one billion vegetarians in the world and the number is growing, we must continue to set a good example but just as religion can never be forced on someone neither can veganism.|||No I do not think that you should join a religion just because of your diet.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment