Friday, February 24, 2012

People with eating disorders will use any reason they can think of to avoid eating. That includes some saying they are vegetarian or vegan in order to explain away why they don't eat much. This is based on the common but wrong stereotype that vegetarians or vegans are always thin.

Eating disorders are mental disorders and do not really have anything to do with eating itself.|||Definitely. I think there's a lot of ignorance about vegetarianism/veganism diets- mostly people thinking that people who choose to eat this way become pale, thin, unhealthy looking and anaemic so I suppose in that way it could be a useful cover story. It also means that there are a lot of foods you can get out of eating, things like burgers and hotdogs that are often eaten in a social setting (like at McD's or at sports things etc), as well as a lot of sweet things because that person could claim there was gelatin in them, and you can play on the general ignorance I mentioned by saying cheese might not be veggie etc. I think (I know) as well that people with eating disorders adopt veggie eating because it's another way to control what they will and won't eat and because the 'least feared' ie safest foods are things like salads and raw veg. It's just a handy smoke-screen for a lot of different things.|||It depends on the food this person eats. I used to have an eating disorder and met many girls who used vegetarianism and veganism as a reason not to eat food. One girl said she was vegan in a hospital so she wouldn't have to eat alfredo sauce.
Very very thin girls who claim to be vegans, yet do not take the time to plan their diet to contain proper and complete proteins very well could have a disorder.
My sister does not have an eating disorder and was a vegetarian for awhile. She actually gained weight on a vegetarian diet. To replace meat (which can be healthy and filling like chicken breast, turkey, trimmed red meats) she would eat dishes with lots of different cheeses, creams, eggs, which are all high in fat. I think that may be off topic, but not all vege/vegans are thin.
If someone only eats salads with fat free dressing, limited carbs, and no source of fat whatsoever (avocado, beans, nuts, seeds, breads, oil) with anything could have a disorder.|||Well, with 2 million americans being super morbidly obese ( greater than 40 stone ) I think the meat-eating community are also doing a pretty good job of creating eating disorders too

Yes, i'm sure there are some people who blame thier veggie diet for a loss of weight, restricting thier diet etc

But, like i say, i think the meat-eating community has more than thier share of similar problems, creating excuses is not the preserve of vegetarians|||Last time I answered a question like this, I got lambasted by some Vegan. I consider it more of a lifestyle change or a religion than a disorder.

Religion, if you take it too far and push it upon other people. Most just do it because they want to.

Me, give me my meat.

add-my step daughter is deathly allergic to any dairy and has been all her life. But, my nieces are not. When they met my step daughter, both girls became "allergic" to get some sympathy from the family. It was a pathetic attempt at attention and it didn't work.|||I know someone who said they were vegan but were actually anorexic. She didn't eat anything in front of me (that's not veganism, that's nothingism!), and I heard that she ate cheese (so not a real vegan anyway). She has had help now.|||I'm sure some do, since it can get them out of eating certain foods without raising suspicion.

Generally, eating disordered people tend to do many creative and irrational things so they can continue doing what they're doing.|||Just like they use "dieting" or "watching food intake" as fronts for eating disorders, sure.|||My mum used to work in a bullemic/annorexic clinic years ago and apparently a lot of the females there with eating disorders decided to go raw vegan. No idea if it worked out for them|||Yes - if they feel they are to fat all the time, they might use vegan diet to try to lose another 5 pounds, when they are not really overweight to begin with.

Yes anything is possible.

Good Luck!|||Some some people do. Just read between the lines on this forum and you will see a few of them. I always wonder when I see posts like. "how much weight will I loose if I become a vegan?"|||how is eating healthy vegetables considered an eating disorder???


consuming dead animal flesh , now that is a disorder....|||I'm sure there is at least one case of someone doing it, yes.

People who have bad habits/disorders create excuses (knowingly or otherwise).|||It certainly is something to think about. I'd rather indulge in a good ole fashion frequent exercise program, myself, 'n work off those excess calories.|||Sometimes people might do that, like saying they only eat carrot sticks all day because they're a vegetarian.|||Yes some do.....others say they have allergies.....or stomach ache.....people with eating disorders lie to cover their tracks......|||no the two are completely unrelated|||NO I DON'T|||Definitely, some people use them to shut off foods. I don't know how common this is though.|||No.|||No|||ya i think so.|||I don't think they do. I know it as a matter of fact. My mother is a psychiatrist and she says that most of the eating disorder cases she deals with, the person lies about being vegan or vegetarian to explain their unhealthiness.

I also regularly see people asking question in this section who are vegetarian, or vegan about an eating disorder they have. So it's not always a front, sometimes it is a real thing.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment