Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Have you noticed that your hair grows faster or slower being vegan? Also, why do I hear so much about vegans losing hair? Is that common? I would think it should be fine if you take a multivitamin, right?|||My wife, my kids, and I are all vegan, and all of us have healthy hair, skin, and nails.

In fact, my father is going bald, and while I'm likely to be loosing my hair (my mother's father was bald, as was my father's father), it is much fuller than it was when my father was my age. My skin was horrible when I ate meat, but in the last 15+yrs of being vegan, my skin and nails have been really great.

Same for my wife. Her hair is thicker and nicer than all of her non-vegan friends, ever since she started in college.

We just make sure to eat enough fats and enough calories and it all evens out. We use olive oil liberally, and eat plenty of grains and legumes and veggies and fruit in LARGE portions and we always end up doing well physically. It's not just our nails and skin and hair. We all get regular blood tests and they always come up stellar (even for the kids who love pasta).|||Well, I'm male, so over the last twenty years the hair on the front of my head has gotten thinner, but other places have gotten hairier. Is this from veganism or just getting older? I know plenty of bald people, and they are not vegan or vegetarian. Seems to have little to do with it. What does affect hair growth negatively (on the head at least) is testosterone, and other hormones, apparently. Even seen an old lady with a moustache and thin hair on her head? I have. The lady at the cash register today looked like that, and that's probably because her estrogen levels have gone down and testosterone gone up relative to each other. They say that B vitamins affect hair growth, but I think not -- not unless you have a B vit deficiency, I guess. But I'll tell you, my thinning hair all grew back one time. That was the time I took a one year vacation. I was so totally relaxed and stress free...

Not getting enough nutrients may affect hair on one's head, but hey, there have been people who were in certain life situations (war, prison, poverty...) where they ate so little and so poorly that they barely survived, yet they did not become permanently bald.

Anyway, I have more questions than answers myself.|||Hey Vegan Girl

I have been vegetarian for about 20 years. I tried to do the vegan thing many years ago and it didn't work for me. So, I went back to semi-vegetarian. I had to go back to eating fish because my hair was thinning out, my nails were getting brittle and my skin was looking sallow. I used to eat beans, brown rice, tofu, vegetables. I tried to eliminate all dairy products and other animal by-products but now I do eat eggs. Every now and then I eat icecream but I keep to a bare minimum. I eat seitan, vegetable and soy protein meatless substitutes. Since I did go back to eating fish, the health of my hair, nails and skin has improved. It is important to get that protein and more important to have a balance meal with all it is that you need to sustain good health. I am and look healthy and I don't have any regrets removing meat from my diet. I don't eat fish as often as I would like but I try to make sure I get it at least once or twice a week. Sometimes I don't eat fish but once a month usually because I am not able go where I need to in order to purchase it.|||its because they don't get protein
my uncle survived off roman noodles in college and went bald because he didnt get enough protein from the noodles

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment