Thursday, February 9, 2012

I ask this, because I'm a lacto-ovo-vegetarian who would like to go vegan. Unfortunately, though, I'm having a really hard time giving up my Coke! I know that sugar is sometimes filtered through charred animal bones, but often when I read the lists of ingredients for various sodas, I notice that they're sweetened with corn syrup instead of sugar. Of course, corn syrup is bad for you, but as far as I know, it's still vegan. Does anyone here have any info?|||Hi Tangerine! I got tired of always retyping my answer about the subject (since it comes up so much<g>) so here's my cut'n'paste answer (with newer comments to follow<G>)
----
I'm not even sure they're vegetarian in many cases! If they list sugar as an ingredient you'd need to be concerned with bone char being used to filter the sugar.

Fruit flavored ones may contain unlisted glycerin as part of the flavoring per FDA regulations.

Cola's are allowed to have (among other things) musk oil, civet oil, pepsin and other animal based enzymes and/or flavorings as part of legally unlisted natural flavorings per FDA regulations. Be warned that those same rules legally allow makers to 'lie' about the "trade secret" ingredients!

What you have to ask the manufacturer is "Does your product contain any animal ingredients, or any ingredients processed with animal products, or any ingredients that originally derived from an animal source and/or are any products originally from an animal source used in the manufacture of your product?".

I've NEVER had a major soda producer give a straight yes/no answer to that question! This is the question you ask ANY food producing company if you want an answer will hold up in court. The last soda company that gave me a straight answer of no to that question was the original producer of "Ginseng Rush" back in the '70s.

IMHO soda can't be trusted! If you'd like a shock try asking that question to juice companies<evil grin>. Many juices are processed using animal based enzymes (sorry to ruin your day<evil grin>).
----

I really need to do some updating to that<G>, since you mentioned bone char (in a roundabout way<g>) I should point out that bone char (legally speaking) is a very *specific* type of burned bones! A company can 'legally lie' to you by saying something like "None of our sugar is processed with bone char" when they are using animal sourced carbon that doesn't meet the narrow legal definition of bone char. Also remember that thanks to the ethanol craze HFCS is losing it's price advantage so 'real' sugar is making a comeback!

You're knowledgeable about lying politicians<LOL>, keep in mind that they learn their tricks from corporations!|||no becasue soda is not from animals|||It's not healthy but it's vegan. The bone char isn't exactly hurting animals either; it's made from found bones. Most sugar isn't made with it anyway - no beet sugar is and only some cane sugars.

There's even a cake recipe where you can swap the eggs for coke.

Edit: Supposedly Coke brand has some sort of fish additive in it, but then someone on a forum said they emailed the company and it isn't true. Could just be an urban legend. Email the company and ask them; it might take you a few days to get a response. You might go with a different brand. I'm not sure what's available in your area but you can get organic colas.

Ok, I'm thinking the fish thing is probably true: "None of the soft drink brands of The Coca-Cola Company contain ingredients derived from mammals or poultry." was stated here on their website http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/conta鈥?/a>

There are so many rumors surrounding Coke that it's hard to find any information, but I think that gives you a pretty good idea of what's in it. Like I said, there are plenty of other brands, but I would just email the company.|||All ingredients of a soda never goes through an animal remains whatsoever. If they do, the FDA will require them to list that ingredients.
As far as I know, you don't have to give up your coke, its not made of animal.|||i have never heard of sugar being filtered through animal bones...i think this is just something someone told you so you wouldn't drink it anymore...|||I don't think Coke is even vegetarian! This was never brought to my attention..until greenghost had brought it up in one of his answers.I never drank soda after becoming vegan,because after becoming vegan I really started watching what I ate..animal products and stuff like high fructose corn syrup,MSG,white flour,etc.

I'm sure greenghost will be here to give you his standard answer soon<G>.|||There are natural sodas and colas made with evaporated cane juice or non-bone char cane sugar that you might be able to find instead of Coke. It's more expensive, but it's not as nasty as high fructose corn syrup.

And to a prior poster: Yes, it's true. Some cane sugars are filtered through bone char. But beet sugar never is. Look for turbinado sugar or evaporated cane juice to ensure your sugar is vegan.|||Soda makes you age much faster and makes you feel like sh*t.
It raises the acid level in your blood. Just start drinking healthier things.

火车采集器
  • catalytic converter
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment