Thursday, February 9, 2012

Just wondered cause i saw an article on it :)
Do you think its a religion?
Do you think that children should be taught about veganism and vegetarianism to further tolerance and understanding? I find many people make fun of me cuz i'm vegan i think school talking about veganism and vegetarianism would help make others more tolerant of it and accept it more.|||It is not the school's job to make everyone "tolerate" your diet. Sorry.

Dietary preferences are not a religion. Do you seriously mean to say that you worship and revere your food as a deity as opposed to the deity that created that food?

No one is making fun of you for being a vegan. You sound like you are in high school. You are being made fun of because that is precisely what high schoolers do. Sorry.|||There is nothing religious about choosing to be a vegetarian...it is a life choice and not affiliated in the least with religion. Seriously, we need another religious overtone to another life choice..like we need a hole in the head. Adding religion to your diet will only leave more people wondering. If you have chosen to be a vegan, for the right reasons..like nutrition, intestinal tract health, energy..etc...then that is why you are a vegan. If you really want it accepted, then fulfill your beliefs about being a vegan in a quiet way without judging people that do eat meat, or trying to convert them...and you may just find that people may be interested enough to start quizzing you. I am a vegan too.|||I most defiantly do not think that it is a religion. I think that it could be considered a way of life though. Oh, and in my school when we take nutrition we do learn about vegetarianism and veganism. :)|||A religion? It depends on your definition. The dictionary gives two: the first definition states that a religion is "people's beliefs and opinions concerning the existence, nature, and worship of a deity or deities, and divine involvement in the universe and human life." If you define religion by those terms, no, I don't think it's a religion because it doesn't really involve a deity.
Another is "a set of strongly-held beliefs, values, and attitudes that somebody lives by"; if that's the case, yes, it can be considered a religion.
It all depends on who you ask. Some people take their lifestyle more seriously than others, too.

I don't think that it SHOULD be taught in school necessarily. If it is taught in schools, I think that the purpose should be to simply inform the students about the world around them, or to help them make decisions as they find out who they are. The curriculum should simply lay out the plan and simple facts--the pros as well as the cons--and not, not, NOT take one side over the other. It would probably be an elective class...some kind of social studies class about everyday life, or something like that. Anyway, vegetarianism and veganism isn't really something that must be taught in school. It's kind of a personal decision.
I suppose it might be *mentioned* in some classes like environmental science, where the teacher might point out how some people take a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle in order to cut down on water usage or the like.|||No. Religion refers to a belief in invisible magic people or entities. Vegetables are quite real.

It would be very helpful if schools provided useful accurate information about health and nutrition to students, and that would include a discussion of diets like vegetarianism. You shouldn't be made fun of about your diet, but you can try to learn ways to respond to people who persist. I've usually found that a simple comment that I really prefer not to eat dead chopped-up animals stops most people in their tracks. That may or may not work with people who don't realize where their food actually comes from. I occasionally run into someone who thinks that vegetarians only eat salads, or some such thing. Incidentally, if you should have a physical examination, ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level. I recently found that mine was extremely low, probably as a result of my meatless diet. Also, for a chuckle, I was in the hospital a few months ago, and was referred to a registered dietitian. I explained that I was basically a vegetarian with an occasional weakness for pepperoni pizza (joke) and we discussed what I ate at some length. Her recommendation was that I should eat more vegetables... Good luck.|||I don't think its a religion at all.
I myself am vegetarian, but that my own choice.
I think its more of what you prefer to eat, not on your beliefs.
I don't think talking to the kids about it will make a difference at all.|||In a manner of speaking, I would say it does have some religious aspect to it, since anyone who is a vegetarian or vegan generally has very strong beliefs behind their choice. Actually, sometimes it can be directly associated with religion- I've met people who do not eat animal products because it is simply a part of their religion that they believe it is wrong.
So, I would say it can either a part of religion or a choice that is made in religious aspect. I wouldn't actually go so far as to call it a religion itself though, because lifestyle choice is something that comes along with religion, but is not the religion itself.
Just my opinion though!|||i dont think its a religion but don't worry if people make fun of you. :) i think it should only be taught in health class because that is a health situation. also we learned about it in my health class.|||no i don't think it should be a religion and if they where to start to Tech it at schools we would be blamed for trying to brain wash kids you cant win|||BY PURE DEFINITION it is certainly not a religion. Anyway, what you're thinking of is called a cult.

V*ganism isn't organised so it can't be a cult. It is a personal choice.|||This is a personal choice, not something the schools should teach in depth. While nutrition should be studied, and these subjects are part of it, no I don't think they should devote a whole lot of time to it.

Kids used to bully me because I was a tall girl. Health, genetics, etc. were all taught in school, but it didn't matter. I still got picked on and bullied.

If you weren't vegan, kids would find something else to pick on. Be strong and you'll survive. I did.|||there are many religions that promote vegetarianism. they arnt one in the same but there ARE religions that promote vegetarianism if not require it.

2 are Jainism and 7th day Adventists.
many secular humanists like what i am are vegetarian

There is no reason why it shouldnt be taught in schools but there are many road blocks. a lot of school lunch programs work under contract with meat industry. thats 1 reason why school lunchs have ALWAYS been complete garbage that no one -not even omnivores- want to eat. anyway- these contracts school districts have with the food industry will prevent any education about vegetarian life option in schools.
Oprah got sued for just saying she will never eat meat again -on the air. remember.|||no, its not a religion
its a decision, a choice based on personal preferences and knowledge

and yes i think animal, as well as human welfare, should be taught in schools, along with many other things that are not taught but should be|||I do not consider it a religion although some religions include vegetarianism. I believe it should be tought in school.|||Is driving a Prius a religion? Is sleeping on the floor a religion? No.|||No, vegetarianism is not a religion, it's a diet. Religions are have sets of beliefs and practices - vegetarians don't necessarily have any of the same beliefs, people are veggie for different reasons.

Veganism is a lifestyle choice. You might describe it as a religion in more of an nonliteral sense, but I wouldn't call it a religion and I don't think it is helpful to call it one. People think of religion as pertaining to beliefs in supernatural nature and origin of the universe in particular, which has nothing to do with veganism. There are no sets of beliefs or practices except for the avoidance of all animal products as much as possible.


I do think children should be taught abouut vegetarianism and veganism. I think children should be taught about the health benefits of vegetarianism and I think they should be taught how to cook healthy meals in school.|||Because I am an Atheist, I consider my general set of moral values to be my "religion" and my diet is a major part of my ethics. So, while vegetarianism is part of my "religion" it wouldn't be considered so for the rest of society. Only when it is truly done on behalf of religion does it become a religious consideration.

About it being taught in schools. I would say that yes, it should definitely be covered or at least mentioned in health classes. I don't believe any sort of tolerance needs to be taught. I mean, a different way of eating is nothing to be seen as intolerable . . .

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment