Friday, February 3, 2012

I have been vegetarian for over a year, and once I move out of my mother's house in two months I am planning on becoming a vegan. I was wondering what books you guys like that are about veganism. I am looking for 3 main things:

1) Recipes/Meal plans and some way to make sure I am getting all my nutrients
2) Motivation!
3) A list of foods that are and aren't vegan.|||1) It's a rude tone and since you are already going vegan, don't know if you need the convincing, but Skinny ***** has a lot of information broken down into a very readable way.

2) Anything by Dreena Burton. Everyday Vegan has great recipes and good nutritional advice. And as you get more into cooking, then Vive La Vegan is great too. Although I find that her recipes are a little too much for me to handle on weekday nights.

3) If you go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles you can find several different books that are vegan meals in under 30 minutes, 5 ingredient vegan recipes, student vegan cookbooks which focus on smaller portions instead of family sizes and are simple and budget friendly, and even slowcooker vegan books. There is even a book called Conveniently Vegan which has small recipes which use canned or frozen foods to make vegan recipes which are even more simple.
Pretty much all vegan cookbooks have nutritional breakdowns in them.

4) Diet for a Small Planet and The CHina Study are great motivational books to make you want to eat an all plantbased diet because of the health and eclological causes. And there is a book called Living Among Meateaters that is kind of a lifestyle guide (how to deal with being vegan in an unvegan society), which can provide some motivation too. Plus it has some recipes as well.|||Skinny ***** In The Kitchen Cookbook
Meatless Meals For Working People
The Face On Your Plate
One Can Make A Difference
Striking At The Roots'

And sooo many more! Congrats on your lifestyle! Check out the PETA catalouge, they have some great ones.|||The complete idiot's guide to vegan living ~ Beverly Lynn Bennett
The complete idiot's guide to vegan cooking ~ Beverly Lynn Bennett & Ray Sammartano
How it all vegan! ~ Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer#
Skinny b*tch ~ Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin
Skinny b*tch in the kitch ~ Rory Freedman & Kim Barnouin#
Vegan with a vengeance ~ Isa Chandra Moskowitz#
Veganomicon ~ Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
Vegan cupcakes take over the world ~ Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero
Now vegan ~ Lynda Stoner
The tropical vegan kitchen ~ Donna Klein#
The Mediterranean vegan kitchen ~ Donna Klein
Vegan Italiano ~ Donna Klein

# I have these, and am most likely going to buy most of the others on the list sometime.|||An above comment isn't true, why would vegans have to take tons of supplements if they are eating the right foods? Fortified cereals, soy milks, and granola bars provide tons of nutrients. If you are a smart vegan you won't have to take supplements religiously.

The Veganomicon cookbook is the best vegan cookbook I've come across. I've never made something from that book that I didn't like!

For meal plans, I always try to eat a grain item with all my meals鈥攂e it whole wheat pasta, bread, brown rice, etc. I try to stay away from faux meats because they are loaded with yucky stuff. Beans are always good and you can make bean loaves/patties and freeze them for later use.

Check for foods containing carmine or cochineal extract. It's a red food coloring but it comes from bugs so it is not vegan. I know I've seen it in SoBe vitamin water.|||I bought this book, but I never even finished it so I do'nt really know how good it is
http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Com鈥?/a>


Most of the research I have done is just searching through google and reading things on websites.

My favorite place for vegan recipes is www.vegweb.com and How It All Vegan is the only vegan cook book I own (
http://www.amazon.com/How-All-Vegan-Irre鈥?/a> )There are some great recipes and plus there is a lot of information about vegan foods, subsitutes and everything.

As far as vegan and non vegan foods go, just make sure you constantly are reading the labels of the foods you are buying/eating and the best way to avoid bad foods is to cook a lot of meals yourself!

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment