Friday, February 17, 2012

or perhaps bipolar. i think i read somewhere that maybe it's the vitamin B12 deficiency that can cause depression. if that is the case, will a vitamin supplement be the cure? or at least help?

should a vegan who suffers from depression become a vegetarian to help with any dietry deficiencies which might be affecting their mood, or is just an extra challenge the vegan should learn to live with in order to stay true to their beliefs.|||The answer I would say is "no".

Depression in my case was caused by my horrible life situation. Once I got away from that, my depression disappeared.

For those who are depressed for no reason, they are obviously out of balance somehow which in turn throws their body and hormones etc. out of wack.

Nobody has a lack of "eating" B12. It's nearly impossible. What the usual case is is that people are eating or doing things which are killing off the digestive bacteria. Eating crap food and things like white vinegar or drugs or medications such as antibiotics will kill it all off. Other condition will hinder not only the production but the absorption of B12 -- but I don't think B12 is the link to depression. Many things can cause depression. I was depressed for most of my life and I was nowhere near being vegan. When I became vegan I was not cured of being depressed (although I definitely felt 50% better). So, being vegan had nothing or little with the cause of being depressed. If one is having mood swings, its usually caused by fluctuating hormone or blood sugar levels. That's my take on it.|||"a lot of what you said was either completely fabricated or you've been fed false information." What are you referring to? My personal story, or about B12? Do your own research -- and if you are so well informed, why on earth are you asking such a question?

Report Abuse

|||I'm vegetarian with vegan tendencies and I take a vitamin B12 supplement but I get depressed a lot.

Edit: I mean I am only vegetarian because of my situation right now. If I was in a different situation then I would be vegan. I try to eat vegan the most I can but I don't always. I think I made up the term.|||uh....that sure was allot of fancy talk , but uh all I know is if a ate like a horse or a cow , id be depressed. aren't humans herbivores?|||Get a few packets of EmerGen-C and have 3 a day, see if you feel better after a week.

Another issue could be a lack of folate, but unless you're a junk food vegan this really shouldn't be a problem.|||There must be a link. I get depressed just thinking about being a vegan.

Seriously though, if you're suffering from any vitamin deficiency, you either have to take a supplement, or you need to change your usual diet to include foods with that vitamin. Take whichever direction works for you.|||im a vegan with depression but i had depression before being vegan. it did become steadily worse after becoming vegan but i am sure it is because of the situation. my anti depressant works wonders :) i would never go back on being vegan despite a bit of depression. i dont think there is a link, personally|||As vegans we are so focused on our health and listen to so many people say that veganism couldn't possibly be healthy that we even begin to believe it.

All kinds of people with all kinds of diets suffer from depression - I am sure most are meat eaters who get plenty of B12.
I am not saying that it isn't possible that it couldn't be B12 deficiency but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. As vegans we all need to make sure we get some B12 - Just take a multi-vitamin daily!

I really can't see how eating cheese or eggs would lessen depression.
I hope you find a solution!|||you must be a meat eater|||Yes, it can cause depression. You cannot take B12 as a tablet or pill B12 must be taken by injection or up inside the nose.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment