Thursday, February 9, 2012

I am going vegan. I've been reading nutrition books and such, but I'd like to get some information from personal experience as well. What are animal products that pop up in a lot of foods? I know about gelatin, casein, and whey. Others?

Extra: Are there any foods you've ever thought were vegan, before discovering that they actually were not?|||Honey (In most wheat breads)
Beeswax
Carmine (Coloring from crushed insects)
Shellac (Insect secretion)
Lard

In addition to diet, vegans don't use other animal byproducts like leather. Which I thought of being vegan, but something I DIDN'T think of was silk, ivory, and pearls. As a girl, wearing pearls is something that could happen, but it didn't occur to me where they came from. I mean, I knew, but I didn't think about it. I was also reminded that silk comes from silkworms. The silkworm is killed in the process. Boar bristles in hairbrushes also aren't vegan as they're from boars.

Also, I found out that beer is typically processed with dried fish bladders. There's a lot of beer that isn't vegan. I don't drink alcohol so I don't have to worry about that one.

I was also shocked when the other day I went to eat some dry roasted peanuts that my boyfriend had around the apartment and they had gelatin in them! In peanuts! So you really have to read all the labels.

Here's a few good reference lists:
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/stumbling.htm鈥?/a>
http://www.veganbaking.net/resources/ani鈥?/a>|||Before going vegetarian, I thought Jell-O and marshmallows were okay, they're not. Then, as I'm transitioning into veganism, I find out a lot of gum isn't vegan either. Another to avoid is carmine, also known as Crimson Lake, Cochineal, Natural Red 4, C.I. 75470, or E120. It's from insects, which is basically A) Not vegetarian or vegan and B) Just plain nasty.

And as someone else said, honey. It isn't vegan.|||Honey is a big one, and things like glycerin or "natural flavors" which can be either animal or plant based. There's tons of food additives if you eat processed/packaged foods. There's a few good lists online. Just google "animal ingredients" or something like that. There's even a list that you can download to your iphone or ipod (probably other smart phones too?). But, the most comprehensive list I know of is this: http://www.akpress.org/2004/items/animal鈥?/a> I've been vegan over ten years & still refer to it every now & then.|||Gelatin (from animal bones), milk powder and egg white.|||butter, except for earth balance|||yeah, like today i was about to eat soy yogurt and found out it had milk too

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment